5 Korean Indie Bands You Shouldn't Missed; Otherwise You're a Sinner

K-Pop is one the best phenomenons happen in this world. Some people might think that seeing flawless boys and girls groups dancing and singing is so weird. It's pretty okay, though. Everyone has their own cup of coffee. What I want to underline is the fact that KPop is really something, it is a big thing. You can see how big it is by knowing their bunch of fans spread in this holy world. Super Junior, EXO, BIG BANG, SNSD, you name it. They have such a loyal squads willing to go anywhere to watch their concerts. 

Anyhow, behind this hype wave of K-pop, there are several guys trying to share their songs behind their music instruments. Korean indie band gets more spaces and recognition nowdays. Their performance, of course, doesn't look cute or lovey-dovey as K-Pop always looks like. To be honest, I don't hate K-pop, I even listen to some particular boy bands as well. The thing is, indie singers always own this side of my heart. I just can't live without them. I listen to both local and foreign indie bands alot, but discovering Korean indie bands is a whole new level. It's like I finally found something completing my music taste. You know what I mean? 
Instagram/hyukoh2000-South Club
Each time I found a good song or band, I was always crying like stupid. I kinda have a strong feeling to share what I've found to other people. I mean, they are too freakin' good, no one is allowed to miss them. I listen to plenty Korean indie bands, so here are 5 of them who deserve to be listened, because they are badass as fuck.


1. Hyukoh
Instagram/hyukoh2000

I have to put this indie band in my very first list. I know it might sound so cheesy, but they are kinda my first love. This band consist of Oh Hyuk (vocal/guitar), Lim Hyun-jae (lead guitar), Im Dong-gun (bass) and Lee In-woo (drum). The band officially formed in May 2014. Wi Ing Wi Ing and Comes and Goes become their biggest hits back then. Anyhow, their popularity increased so significantly after joining music festival made by a famous Korean variety show Infinity Challenge in the end of 2016. Hyukoh music is so good to be listened while you are having a coffee/tea time after work. Oh Hyuk rapsy voice feels like a healing sound for me. Hyukoh music is the type that you won't easily find, I would say. There's a touch of rock and folk at the same time. Nowadays, they're considered as the hottest Korean indie band. These guys has release an EP (20) and 2 albums named 22 and 23 which had been released lately. Their songs are written in Korean, English and Chinese which is a plus point. You should give them a shoot, trust me you won't regret it.

Must-Listened Songs: Wi Ing Wi Ing, Mer, Tomboy, oh hell, Leather Jacket sounds so good as well.

2. The Black Skirts
인디코스터

If you don't know any single of this band, you are really a sinner. Like, where have you been? The Black Skirts is actually an indie rock one-man band created by Bryan Cho or also known as Jo Hyu-il. This guy was born in Seoul, but grown up in the US, for precisely in New Jersey. It's not only in English and Korean, he also write his songs in Spanish, Merlin's beard! Each time I listen to his songs, I feel as if I was in the 80s or 90s era. He puts his emotion through his catchy lyrics. Bryan style might seem quirky, but that's why I'm so damn in love with him. He is under the same indie record label with Hyukoh, which is HIGHGRND. Bryan just released his newest album entitled NAME BABY. Brace yourself, his songs have too many spells drive you laugh or cry or both at the same time.

Must-Listened Songs: Everything, Who Do You Love
 

3. South Club
South Club
South Club is the boys next door who gained a huge attention lately. The band is lead by Nam Tae-hyun which is a former member of boyband WINNER. Nam Tae-hyun started his solo career by covering some popular songs, but then he took his first step to build his own band by leaving the big YG Entertainment. Nam Tae-hyun signs a contract with South Buyer Club label this year and debuts as South Club (along with his band members) by releasing such an eargasm entitled Hug Me. His melancholy voice collides so smoothly with the band. You won't believe that this ex-boyband member has a totally different side from what he used to show with WINNER back then. They (also) released a new album 90 which consists of really awesome tracks. They are a rookie indie band you don't wanna miss, you have my words! 
Must-Listened Songs: Hug Me, LIAR, I.D.S

4. Se So Neon
Instagram/se_so_neon
I found this holy squad very recently. It happened when I see Hyukoh posted an InstaStory and use their song as the back-sound. I was like in love in a flick. The song sounds so damn really good, I was crying. I try to search their music through YouTube and I bumped into that exact song which is apparently their very first single 'A Long Dream'. When I played the music video, I was crying for the second time since it's too good to be true. I rarely in love with female vocalist, but I guess Se So Neon is my exception. This song is perfect to be listened when you are sitting under your blanket while chatting with your friends or the loved ones. When I'm working, I keep listening to this song since I arrived til I finished. At first, I was lilbit sad because I couldn't find them on Spotify, but currently they are already there. Now I can listen to it as much as I want and anytime I want. Catch them!

Must-Listened Songs: It's their very first single, so A Long Dream really deserve your time.  

5. SALTNPAPER (MYK)
Instagram/onemyk
Saltnpaper is not a real name, what do you call it, stage name? The band is actually lead by Michael Y. Kim and he used to be known as MYK. He was born in The State that's why lots of his songs written in English and that's what makes me in love with him even more. I heard his song for the first time from one of my favorite Korean dramas, Cheese in The Trap. Saltnpaper sings its main soundtrack entitled Go. Since then, I tried to dig any of his musics, and deym they're all friggin' good. MYK's voice is so soft and touching and insane, it's a perfect sound you should listen while driving or when you're upset. He has kinda calming voice I can hardly describe. You'd better go listen soon.

Must-Listened Songs: Hats, Satellite, Go, LoveStrong (feat. Tablo)


 I'd be so glad if you like the songs. Yeah, you can thank me later.

Comments

  1. It's like decades I haven't listened to any good music. Lol. Thanks for introducing these bands, dek Anggra. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, glad you like it, Mbak Sifa. Anyway, so long time no see!

      Delete

Post a Comment