Novo Amor; That Kinda Gig Where You Just Need to Stay and Enjoy, but You're Allowed to Cry Silently

Novo Amor - The 8th Music Gallery/10032018 - @rifaluna

Life is full of surprise. It's cliché, but you gotta believe that.

It feels like just yesterday when me and my sister were talking about Novo Amor. We made a promise if once Novo Amor came to Indonesia, we gotta watch it. No matter where, no matter how, we have to. And daaang! They really did! The 8th Music Gallery held by FEB UI is so superb badass for inviting Novo Amor to be performing in their event. Honestly, I used to be skeptical if there will be any promoter who's willy-nilly invite Novo Amor since I realize that he's not that popular in Indonesia and their music is really really segmented. But, again, life is really surprising and I never expect that the genius will be those college students. Well, actually, Novo Amor is not like the main guest star in this gig, but they have Beach Fossils who will perform as the final performer. How cares tho' cause all I need is Ali John Meredith-Lacey.

And you know what, the ticket is only 15 bucks, oh my Lord, how cool is that!

Anyway, I was so surprised that Ali came with Ed Tullet 'cause all I thought was he would come all alone. Lucky me, Novo Amor came as a full team; Ali and his best companion, Ed, together with a keyboardist (Rhodri), a violist (David) and a drummer (Si). When they hit the stage at about 8 pm, I was trying so hard not to scream and cry because all the mixed up feeling I have inside.

Novo Amor - The 8th Music Gallery/10032018 - @rifaluna

Novo Amor opened their gig by singing 2 songs from his newest album, Heiress, which are "Silvery" and "Colorway". The first them I heard his voice, like directly in front of my face, I got goosebumps; that same feeling each time I listen to his songs through Spotify. No, well, it's actually pretty much much better. Anyhow, when Ali started singing their 3rd song which is "Embody Me", shit happened. There was kinda technical problem with his guitar which made the sound didn't come out. So, Ali sang the rest of the song without his guitar, but it still sounds perfect to me. As the song finished, he did a quick move to repair it with his crew while the other personnel kept playing their instruments. "It's okay!" I heard some gig-goers screamed to them while giving applause. I'm pretty sure, Ali and his band-mates were really panic at that time, but I salute them since they still be able to take control. And two thumbs up for the concert-goers as well who stayed patient during the trouble.

Ali needed like 5 minutes to fix everything, said 'thank you' to the audiences and tried to explain what was wrong before moving to the next song which is "Holland". Novo Amor showed a different clip background for every song they sang which gave us that kinda dreamy and touching effects. But, when "Carry You" was performed, everything moved to another level and I got my emotion exploded. I was crying at the first lyric he said. I just couldn't handle my feeling because Ali's voice was too good and too touching to be true. I mean, how come a person can have a voice like that? Like, how it's even possible?

Novo Amor - The 8th Music Gallery/10032018 - @rifaluna

Well, you might know that Novo Amor's songs are not those kinda song where you can dance into. It's type of music where the audiences just need to stay and enjoy. Anyhow, some of them sang together only in certain parts of the songs. But, you are always, you're always allowed to cry. 

They also brought some pieces from the previous album, like  "Faux", "Alps" and "From Gold" into the stage. Another special performance was shown when Ali sang "Anchor" while playing solo-keyboard. What a mesmerizing show, Ali! Sadly, soon they gotta wrap up the gig and it's where Ed sang the last yet phenomenal song, "Terraform". Fyi, "Terraform" is a song made and dedicated to sulfur miners in Kawah Ijen. In their music video which is also taken a place in Kawah Ijen, they mention that they will give a percentage of proceeds from "Terraform" to the sulfur miners so that they can have a better life. Lesson-learned, Ali!

Novo Amor - The 8th Music Gallery/10032018 - @rifaluna

One of many reasons why I do really like Novo Amor is because Ali mostly sings in that damn superb falsetto which becomes the same reason of why I also love Ed. Sometimes, when you listen to the songs where Ali and Ed sing together, you won't be able to tell which one is Ali and which one is Ed. Their voices have similar tone, characteristics and feelings. So, even though Ali doesn't fully sing Terraform that night, I'm so happy and satisfied because Ed will always nail it. That aching, yet touching falsetto tho'! I can't ask for more!

Novo Amor - The 8th Music Gallery/10032018 - @rifaluna

"We want more! We want more! We want more!" the concert-goers yelled, since 10 songs not enough yet for us. Unfortunately, they did really have to leave. Ali, Ed and those superb guys behind the instruments gotta say thanks and goodbye. Ali said that he and the band is really happy for being able to perform in Indonesia even though they face kinda shock-weather at first. They also said that they would go to Kawah Ijen after the concert. And that'show the gig end, we do we-fie together. 

Novo Amor - The 8th Music Gallery/10032018 - @asilverdollar

I feel very content and satisfied. This gig makes mon another dream concert get a check mark. Novo Amor gives me another best day of my life.



See you when I see you, Novo Amor!

Love, Angs!



Comments

  1. This is an outstanding venue, with great and thoughtful staff, and a fantastic chef. The location of event space NYC is well situated. We has been delighted to host our annual event at this location for the past few years, and the space has been perfect for our group of roughly 300.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment