5 Korean Solo Rappers Sound Like No One Else; Believe Me It's Not G-Dragon, You Should Give a Shot

Instagram/satgotloco-Instagram/woowonjae-Twitter/ph1boyyy
Honestly, I never thought that I would have a time to listen to rap. It sounds so heavy, isn't it?

I used to think that rap or hip hop music sounds way too noisy and tiring, especially that kind of rap which lyrics you can't even catch up or consists of too much dissing. I hate it.

But as the time goes by, the more music I listen to, I understand that actually there are many rappers are so worth to be listened. Unfortunately, I won't talk about those rappers in idol groups, sorry. Instead, let's discuss about Korean solo rapper who purely rap and or sing.

Of course every person has their own preference of what kind of rappers they like. Veteran fans might like JK Tiger, Dynamic Duo or YDG, but well sadly they're not my cup of coffee.

As I've mentioned before that I tend to like musics which have good intro or catchy first word/sentence. Thus, that's how I decide whether or not I like a particular rapper.

So, here they are, 5 Korean solo rappers deserve to get your time:

1. Beenzino

Instagram/realisshoman
To tell you the truth, Beenzino is not the first rapper which songs I constantly listen to. The first time I knew him is because there was a gossip said he was dating a famous foreign model or whatsoever. And that's it, I didn't bother to know about him.

However, as my interest in hip hop music grew bigger, I got curious about him. In addition, his name was mentioned so many times as one of best rappers in South Korea.

And it's super true; Beenzino is no joke. Beenzino whose real name is Lim Sung-Bin released his first collaborative album in 2009, but made his debut when he performed in Dok2's concert in 2011.

He has 3 albums which the latest one was published in 2016. The thing I like the most about Beenzino is his unique and artsy songs. Despite of his strong and arrogant kinda look, this 31 y.o man's music has his own bright color. My most fave tracks are "Life in Color", "Aquaman" and "I'll Be Back".

2. Loco

Instagram/satgotloco
The first time I knew about Kwon Hyuk-Woo a.k.a Loco because of a Korean variety show 'It's Dangerous Beyond the Blanket'. This program shows about daily activity of homebody celeb and that's where I got in love with this man's persona.

Later, I started to look for his musics and I was in love for the second time. Loco's songs have kinda similar ambiance and nuance wif Jay Park's, but the thing makes them sound different is Loco's voice itself. Some of Loco songs tell about that cheesy love story, but there some songs have deeper meaning.

Just in case you don't know, Loco is the winner of Show Me the Money Season 1 back then in 2012. Since then he signed to AOMG which is owned by Jay Park and Simon Dominic (lately he resigned from co-CEO tho'). Since his debut, I guess, he made bunch of featuring, mostly with his best friend, Gray, who's in the same label as well.

I can't get enough listening to "Too Much", "You Don't Know" and "Post It", so give him a shot!

3. Woo Won Jae

Instagram/munchinthepool
Woo Won Jae is love, Woo Won Jae is life. I got to know this young man when he was invited as guest in the same variety show by Loco. I was instantly attracted by his cute appearance yet dark aura. Later I knew that WWJ joined SMTM Season 6 and this underdog survived as big three.

I watched him grow up and how his musics develops. I still remember that he used to be a nerdy-look boy who's good at dark rap, but since he joined to AOMG, he kinda changed, in a good way. I found his music tends to be more colorful, fresh but still the lyrics really represent his character. I bet Loco and Gray also play big roles in WWJ personality changing nowadays.

There's no words that can describe how I love Woo Won Jae and all his musics. He's kinda gem in hip hop industry, he's purely good by nature.

I can't even mention the best track of him, but try to hit his featuring in "Bless EP by Code Kunst", "We Are" (feat. Gray and Loco), "How Do You Feel" (feat. VINXEN) or any songs he sang during SMTM6. Yes, you will thank me later.

4. pH-1

Instagram/ph1boyyy
His real name is Park Jun-Won but better know as pH-1. I gotta say that this man is really really something since he has that singing-rap skill so damn good. There was moment when I happened to listen to Jay Park and one of tracks entitled "Iffy". pH-1 is actually featuring in that song, but I never realized it back then. I officially knew this man since he was joining SMTM777. His nerdy and good-boy look, shocking orange-colored shirt, black short beanie and spectacles are such a perfect combination. He sang his piece called "Homebody" (Prod by Thursday) and gotta say it's friggin' friggin' good.

When I heard his sweet voice yet catchy rapping, that was when I fell in love wif him. He's typical with Zion T but having upgraded rapping skill. The other thing makes me so drunk over heals is his lyrics are so easy to catch, light but fresh.

pH-1 made his official debut under H1GHER label which is also the brother of AOMG by Jay Park. Me so glad that his existence are getting more acknowledged lately. He bloody hell deserves your time. My fave is "Perfect", "Donut", "Homebody".

But, oh damn, he also released his newest track through SMTM777 entitled "Hate You" and IT'S FEATURING WIF WOO WON JAE, Lads and gents! You must listen!

5. Simon Dominic

Instagram/longlivesmdc
I've been thinking for quite a long time to finally put Simon Dominic on my list since I really want to choose a rapper other than from AOMG. I wanna be fair, okay? But, sadly, there's no other rapper more attracting than SimD. 

So, actually, I was about to choose Giriboy, but then I changed my mind after listening to Simon's latest track "Simon Says".

As I've told you before that Simon used to own AOMG with Jay Park and work as co-CEO. Anyhow, lately he resigned because he wanted focus on making music.

The time he resigned, he also released a single entitled "Me No Jay Park". Many people think that there was a storm between both of them. But, later SimD told everyone what was happening actually.

Simon has that superb unique heavy and deep voice. Sometimes his voice sounds kinda lazy, but he can also sound so energetic like what he shows in "Who You?". I also love his pronouncation and the way he writes his extraordinary lyrics.

My best track of him is "Jung Jin Chul", "06076", "Upside Down". Well, okay actually there bunch of mon fave tracks. Sorry, just go hit him!

I know that there are heap of good rappers from South Korea, but I believe that each rapper has their own color and characters which is loved by various type of people. Jay Park, Zico or even Mino, of course, are acknowledged as badass rapper and it's purely about preference. I choose those 5 guys because they are unique and rare.



To be frankly speaking, I also wanted to put Tablo and Zion T, but then I realized that Tablo is so closely related to Epik High and Zion T's tend to sound like more R&B. So, I guess I should discuss them later on different post. Hope you like it!

Comments

Popular Posts